These are the notes for the Struts 2.0.8 distribution.
For prior notes in this release series, see Release Notes 2.0.7
- If you are a Maven user, you might want to get started using the Maven Archetype.
- Another quick-start entry point is the blank application. Rename and deploy the WAR as a starting point for your own development.
- Allow automcatic id setting from Restful2ActionMapper
- Update Tiles2 plugin to work with latest Tiles2 release
- struts.xml include dependant packages not loading properly
- Several problems with internationalization fixed, e.g. s:i18n tag, optgroup tag
- FilterDispatcher not cleaning up correctly
Known Bugs and Problems
- The Tiles JSP support package, tiles-jsp-2.0.3.jar, is not included in the Struts 2.0.8 distributions.
For this reason, it must be extracted from the official Tiles 2.0.3 release, that you can download in the Apache Archive site.
For details see WW-1992.
Documentation Changes and Additions
- Updated XWork dependency to 2.0.3
Migration from previous Releases
If a custom validators.xml configuration file is used as a global validator
configuration, the file needs to be adjusted.
The validation configuration is now validated against the following DTD:
<!DOCTYPE validators PUBLIC
"-//OpenSymphony Group//XWork Validator Config 1.0//EN"
Furthermore it is no longer required, that all default validators need to be copied
over into a customized validators.xml configuration.
Just override existing (those from default) with a custom implementation or extend
it with custom configurations.
Experimental Features and Plugins
Please help us test these brave new features. Feedback appreciated!
- Java 1.4 support: We are backporting the core Struts and XWork JARs, and, as a courtesy, bundling them with the distribution. However, Struts 2 is being coded for Java 5 and backward compatibility is not assured.
- Cookie Interceptor: Inject cookie with a certain configurable name / value into action (since 2.0.7) ([WW-1678]).
- Portlets: Automatic portlet support allows portal and servlet deployments with no code changes ([WW-1645@S2jira]).
- AJAX Theme: AJAX tags look and feel just like standard Struts tags but provide greater interactivity and flexibility. The AJAX theme is backed by the popular Dojo Toolkit ([WW-1609]).
- Zero Configuration: Optionally, eliminate or reduce XML configuration with convention and annotation ([WW-1491]).
- REST-ful URLs: Use search-engine friendly URLs, like category/action/movie/Thrillers ([WW-1475]).
- Experimental Plugins
- Codebehind Plugin: Reduce mundane configuration by using "page controller" conventions ([WW-1515]).
- Plexus Plugin - A new plugin that enables Struts Actions, Interceptors, and Results to be created and injected by Plexus.
- Scope Plugin - Initial version of scope plugin that mimics JBoss Seam-style of scoped bijection (presently in the Sandbox).
- Struts1 Plugin - A new plugin that allows you to use existing Struts 1 Actions and ActionForms in Struts 2 applications..
- Tiles Plugin - A new plugin allows your Struts actions to return Tiles pages. The Tiles plugin is dependant on Tiles 2, which is still in beta.
- Struts 2.0.8 is a milestone version in the 2.0.x series. Struts 2.0.6 is the prior GA release.
- The Release Manager is Rainer Hermanns.
- The tag date for the release is 6 June 2007, circa 6pm CEST.